Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

GRANADA GRAFFITI AND FOOD NOTE

One of the things I loved about Granada was its marvelous 'art' graffiti. On my last day there I went around and took some pictures. Here are a few:

For Chrissie, a note about food:
A total failure for me! I didn't do much homework and I went to tourist places sometimes, sometimes not, so maybe I deserved some bad luck.
I had high hopes for tapas (especially since I think of them as having the right scale, ie small so you can try several) but found that in Granada, and Malaga too, tapas are served in large portions - way too much food and way too expensive. I also found that the boquerones that I love from tapas places in the States, light, white, slightly vinegary anchovies, in Spain are the big red ones deep fried. Not very interesting.

Once I got brave and had "Riso Nero" - rice with squid ink and seafood. A tourist place, a mistake. Too much, too salty, the rice undercooked and the seafood overcooked, all combined with truly bad service. For shame! My only really good meals were breakfasts at the hotel which included a lovely very fresh cheese, served in little half moon bits with a tiny piece of jellied orange on top, fresh bread, fresh orange juice, and of course wonderful coffee. I never did find one of the famous 'tearooms' in the Albaycin open. Darn!

I did have one good sushi meal though - the first in months!

1 comment:

Denise said...

In general, we had the same problem with food in Madrid though we had a couple of good dinners the tapas were disappointing for the same reason you listed. Larry was amused that the wine was cheaper than the food.

I must say the the "street art" in Granada is impressive. We saw nothing like that in Madrid just run of the mill stuff.