Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

On some more personal notes...

Bill is in Jerusalem at a conference and to commemorate the life of a friend who we had hoped to see on coming here. Dani Amit introduced us to this neighborhood to which we have returned, and I, selfishly, am very sad not to find him here. I hope Bill will write a few words about him when he gets back on Thursday.

By the way, it appears to be snowing in Jerusalem!


I have been on my own for a few days now, but by midday tomorrow two of our friends will be visiting for a few days, Sarah and Steve. They are both by way of being librarians (well, rather glorious ones at that) and I am greatly looking forward to trying to see Rome through their eyes. We already have a date to visit the Gallerie Borghese, and I'm hoping we will be able to catch the Mercato delle Stampe, which is a "veritable haven for lovers of old prints, books (both genuine antiquarian and less-exalted secondhand), magazines, and other printed ephemera." (Thank you, DK Eyewitness Travel ROME, 2007.) The later will depend on whether or not Steve is willing to take a bit of a busman's holiday. (Maybe I'll find a gorgeous Piranese print there!)

On Thursday Bill returns, we will take Sarah and Steve to our current favorite restaurant, Trattoria Monti, if we can get a reservation. Otherwise we will try one of the many recommendations for good eateries sent to us by another good friend. Thank you, Leonard! Bill and I are very excited to try every place on your list!

I have just finished a terrific book called "The Courtier and the Heretic" by Matthew Stewart. Someday soon, I know I will be a full fledged Spinoza groupie, but I think I have to read "The Ethics" before I can call myself that. Bill and I saw a new play by David Ives, New Jerusalem, in New York shortly before we left. This play is about the excommunication trial of Spinoza. I found the character of Spinoza as played by Jeremy Strong very compelling. It even lead me to read a little bit about philosophy. Maybe someday soon I'll read some actual philosophy.

For now it is time to finish the laundary and head off to the Baths of Caracalla. Should be a great day.

No comments: