Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2008

The Euro and Laura Cretara


A few days ago I decided to stop in at the Museo Nazionale d'Arte Orientale hoping to catch an exhibit on ancient China (just a little break from all-Roman-all-the-time). This museum is in the old Palazzo Brancaccio and is a short walk from our home here - what isn't!

On entering I discovered that tickets were free that day and that the China exhibit was gone.
I was disappointed but definitely ready to take advantage of the chance to see their regular collection and whatever else they had on offer.

I have long been interested in relief sculpture. Rome is rich in examples, naturally. Bassorilievo was popular art form in ancient Rome and was revived in Renaissance times (a well known example are the north doors of the Baptistry in Florence by Lorenzo Ghiberti). There are also lots of modern works here too.












After collecting my biglietto d'ingresso gratuito (free ticket) I found myself in a special exhibit of works from the Associazione Italiana Arte della Medaglia (AIAM). This group is responsible for much of the work on medals, coins and other medallions! Perfect! Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to take photos, but I did by the book: Precorso D'Artista.

One room exhibited a sampling of current and past artists of the AIAM. I especially appreciated the work of several of the artists, in particular Cornelio Ghiretti from 1915 and Rosa Maria Villani, a professor at the school, who did a gorgeous torso, very flat but somehow also very strong and three dimensional feeling.

In the next room, however, came the real surprise for me. This room featured a single artist, Laura Cretara. There were drawings, sculpture and lots of reliefs, including coins. Including the 1 Euro piece, several of which I had in my pocket!

Laura is the 'author' of the Italian Euro coin that has Leonardo da Vinci's Vitruvian Man on its pictorial side.


There were also works from her younger days which I liked very much, this being a sample. (I took quick shots directly from the book published by Editalia.)

A very nice woman working at the exhibit came up to me while I was looking at things, and through sign language she explained to me that Laura herself would be coming any minute, and she did! I got to shake her hand and tell her, in my terrible pidgin Italian, how much I liked her work. She was gracious and forgiving. And, she even signed the book! (Now I just have to find someone who can read and translate what she wrote :-).)

3 comments:

Fannie Bialek said...

it sounds so cool! sorry you missed the china exhibit, but the bas-relief is beautiful.

Unknown said...

Hi Char!

So nice that you've had so many visitors...It sounds like the sabbatical is turning out lovely.
And all the visitors are lovely too!

Thanks for keeping all of us posted .. You are in our thoughts!

Shari

Anonymous said...

Cornelio Ghiretti is my great grand father... i didn't know he had sculptures in any showroom... my family have a few hanging on a wall thoug... :D Bruno Diaz Ghiretti pd. if you have any picture of his work would you please send it to me? bruno_diazgh@hotmail.com